Armonk, New York
Founded in 1928, The Whippoorwill Club sits on the second highest point in Westchester County. The club needed a new facility that would offer modern conveniences to its 350 members but still reflected the club’s established tradition. Inspired by the work of architectural firm McKim, Mead and White, a shingle style two-story club house was constructed to take full advantage of views overlooking the club’s renowned Donald Ross golf course. Banks of floor-to-ceiling windows open from the dining and grill rooms onto a deep wrap-around porch that is supported by robust fluted columns. Second floor locker facilities are located to be less remote and are accessed from a gracious stairwell off the main social room. The club was featured in Country Club Quarterly and The Best of Northeast Golf magazine.
Photo credit: Larry Lambrecht, Nancy Hill